Joanne Davies Complementary Therapies
Swedish Body Massage
Swedish Body Massage
Swedish Body Massage focuses on tense and stressed-out muscles but also helps impact your emotional wellbeing. This nurturing touch therapy involves the whole of you and may affect all levels, including physical, mental, emotional and spiritual.
Massage in essence is a sensitive communication through the medium of touch, by placing my hands on your body and a range of physiological responses can occur, affecting the skin, the sensory nerve receptors, the muscle tissue, the circulation of blood and lymph, the ease of movement of joints and digestion.
Our emotions are also body felt sensations, experienced familiar feelings such as anger, fear, shame, happiness and joy will give your body a physical response and experience as result of the situation you have previously experienced.
Holistic massage may include:
- Classical Swedish techniques such as effleurage; petrissage, kneading, friction and wringing;
- Percussion techniques such as hacking, cupping, pummeling, plucking and brushing;
- Gentle hand holds, drawing on healing traditions and an awareness of the human energy field. This may extend to working off the physical body in the human aura;
Using the above techniques and adapting the depth, speed and intention involved in the touch, helps to stimulate the body's response.
Holistic healing acknowledges how you feel emotionally
and how it also impacts your physical state.
I will adapt the session to your unique needs, physical characteristics and personality.
- Physical improvements such as relaxing tight muscles, improvements to circulation, nervous function and joint mobility; this may help to ease ailments, such as back pain, arthritis and insomnia.
- Reducing stress, one of the main causes of disease in our society. As well as addressing stress factors, holistic massage can facilitate the switch between sympathetic and autonomic nervous systems, hence allowing both body and mind valuable recuperation time.
- Emotionally, massage can provide the caring non-intrusive touch; soothe the busy mind, reduce stress and enhance self esteem.
- At a deeper level still, massage can release the personal history stored in body tissues; this can lead to powerful changes in our energy and provide a vital and chemical ingredient in each persons process of growth.